Frequently Asked Questions

Is this school BC accredited?  Yes.  Pathways Academy is fully-accredited by the BC Ministry of Education. 

Who can participate? 

  • School age students: students between the age of 5 by December 31 of the current calendar year and 19 on or after July 1 of the current school year are eligible to enroll in a DL enrolled program or a registered K-12 program. 
  • Students 19 years old and up are eligible to enroll in our Adult Program. 
  • Graduated students are eligible to enroll in selected courses for the purpose of upgrading.

What does DL stand for?  Distributed Learning, sometimes referred to as Distance Learning.

How do I know if I can "do" a DL program?

  • Are you motivated to complete tasks?
  • Do you meet deadlines?
  • Can you stay on task?
  • If you have a question do you look for the answer?
  • Do you have regular internet access and know how to use it?
  • Do you (parent) know how to type?
  • Do you know how to send and receive e-mail?
  • Do you have basic computer skills?
  • Do you have basic writing skills?  (ie can you put your thoughts into written form)
  • Do you tend to fulfill your responsibilities?

If you answered "no" to any of these questions, be sure to discuss the question with a teacher before beginning a DL program.

If I choose the DL enrolled program, what will my responsibilities be?  Responsibilities vary according to the program selected.  Generally... 

  • work collaboratively with your teacher to create a personalize learning plan that addresses student learning goals within the parameters set by the Ministry of Education
  • maintain weekly communication with your teacher (Planned absences for holidays, travel, etc. are arranged with your teacher and integrated into your personal learning schedule.)
  • submit adequate and timely work samples
  • notify your teacher any time that the student will be away from learning for more than a week

For additional information, see Roles in Pathway's Policies.

What is weekly contact like?  We use many methods of weekly contact.  Though e-mail is often used, contact can also take the form of a phone call, Skype, online classroom participation, video e-mail, photo, face-to-face visit, etc.  Your teacher will help you put together a Weekly Contact plan that fits "just right ".

What would Pathways be responsible for?  Pathways Academy provides a BC accredited educational program utilizing a wide variety of personalized resources, lessons, community experiences, etc., a BC certified teacher that is a fit for you and your family, an online student planner accessible 24/7, a variety of assessment options, and the level of support you need to achieve the educational goals in your personalized plan.

For specific information, see Roles in Pathway's Policies.

How long do I have to finish a high school course?  Aim to have high school courses completed by mid-June of each school year.

Would I have to take Provincial Graduation Assessments?  High school students enrolled in the Dogwood program take three (3) Graduation Assessments.  High school students enrolled in the Adult program do not take Graduation Assessments.  Registered students do not take Graduation Assessments.

When can we apply to enroll in a DL Program?  Students in K-9 may apply for September or February start dates.  General enrollment for each school year begins in the March preceding the September start date.  In order to be assured that resources arrive, it is advised that students enroll by June of each year.

High School students may apply at any time.  For an optimal experience, Pathways encourages high school students to complete courses by mid-June of each year.

Can I take only one or two courses with Pathways while still going to my regular school?  Yes, your main school will remain your school of record.  Pathways will send your main school the final marks for the courses you complete with us.  See cross-enrolled tuition.

How do I sign up?  Download and complete the forms on the DL Program page.

I have other questions. Where can I ask them?  Contact us for answers to any other questions you may have.